1981-1982 South Hamilton High School Band

Thoughout last year, the band was looking forward to their coming trip to Greeley, Colorado.
Then in the summer before the 1981-1982 school year, the dream came true!

     At 8:00 p.m. on July 1, 1981, 110 band members and 10 chaperones boarded three Jefferson buses for a journey to Greeley, Colorado.   They arrived in denver, tired and dirty, at 11.00 a.m. on July 2.

The students ate dinner at Casa Bonita, a Mexican restaurant, then toured a museum and the Denver Mint.

Mike Sargent heads for the Jefferson Bus.


At 7:00 p.m. the buses rolled toward Greeley to the Ramada Inn with showers and a swimming pool, by now, the main objective.   The pool was so full that all you could see were bodies - no water - just bodies.   The night was quiet with everyone exhausted from the trip.

The buses were loaded by 8:00 a.m. for a day in the mountains.   The students toured Rock Mountain National Park and spent a couple hours in Estes Park shopping and just resting.

Scott Anderson, David Carlson and Benny Wilcox impress
folks watching at the Alpine Visitor Center.
Chaperone Ross Whitlock holds tight!

Stacie Schaible, Karla Zanker, Vicki Hegland, Mark Olthoff and Jerri Johnson enjoy the Alpine Visitor Center.

Sonja Anderson and Lea Ann Main rest in the Park.
Carol Soma, Lisa Hill and Melanie Lenze pose for a pic.

At 8:00 p.m. they practiced in the motel parking lot and discussed the marching procedures.

The rest of the evening was free time.

     On July 4th the band left the motel in the WEE hours of the moring to attend and participate in the Greeley Stampede Days Parade.

South High had thier own personal cheering section (consisting of the chaperones) as they marched along the parade route.

Arriving back at the motel the students were on their own for the afternoon.   Many attended the rodeo while others went shopping, or just relaxed at the motel.   After a patio barbecue around the pool at 5:00 p.m., the band members attended the Don Williams Show and the fireworks display at the arena.

At midnight the buses were loaded for
the long trip back to Jewell.

Coleen Johnson finds the floor of the bus
the best place for sleeping.

       Ann Danielson loads while Max checks everything in this bus.

     A special "Thanks" was given to the Music Boosters, organizers of the trip, the chaperones, Fran Nelson, Jo Ann Swenson, Helga Kennedy, Ross Whitlock, Lyle and Vicki Smith, Roger and Joan Barkema, and especially, Max and Carolyn Whitlock.